Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Tradition Continues...

The Stangeland family has a long history of running Cross-Country. It all started with my grandfather who started the Cross-Country program in Ponca City and coached many successful teams. It continued with my dad and uncle running in high school, and my dad running in college. So it should have been no surprise to me that when I failed to master softball (only hit the ball once), soccer (never even kicked the ball), volleyball (I ducked anytime the ball came in my direction), and well basketball (I didn't even bother trying)... that my dad strongly suggested that I try Cross-Country. My thought 'this shouldn't be too bad, there is not a ball, and really how hard can running be'. I quickly learned that cross-country is a very difficult and challenging sport and I loved it! So once again there was a Stangeland runner on the Ponca City Cross-country team.... soon my sister Melissa was running, and my cousin Laura, then my brother Bryan....
Dad and I at the Tulsa Run in 1997
We were very excited when my cousins Brianne and Michael decided to run Cross-Country this year, and enjoyed watching them race! The tradition continues on....
Grandad, Michael, and I
Brianne and I after her race...

No comments: